Living, staying or studying in Coventry? Why not take a train or bus to join our Cotswolds Day Tour in Stratford-upon-Avon? Plan your journey here. Here is everything you should need to know…
On Wednesdays, Thursdays* and Fridays:
- We recommend you take the 07.40 train from Coventry to Leamington Spa, arriving at Leamington Spa at 07.55. At Leamington Spa, change trains and take the 08.08 train to Stratford-upon-Avon, arriving at Stratford-upon-Avon at 08.46.
- The tour departs from Stratford-upon-Avon at approximately 09.00. Please be ready to depart 10 minutes before this time.
It is also possible to take bus X18 from Coventry (Coventry Transport Museum: 07.03, Whitley Village: 07.11, or Whitley Jaguar Landrover: 07.13), to Stratford-upon Avon (Stratford Bridge Street), arriving at 08.25. The tour departs from the bus stop at 09.00. Please be ready to depart 10 minutes before this time.
*Thursday tours operate May to September only
- We recommend you take the 07.37 train from Coventry to Leamington Spa, arriving at Leamington Spa at 07.53. At Leamington Spa, change trains and take the 08.30 train to Stratford-upon-Avon, arriving at Stratford-upon-Avon at 08.46.
- The tour departs from Stratford-upon-Avon station at approximately 09.00. Please be ready to depart 10 minutes before this.
It is also possible to take bus X18 from Coventry (Coventry Transport Museum: 07.03, or Whitley Village: 07.12), to Warwick Bus Station. This bus terminates at Warwick Bus Station at 07.46. Then take another bus X18 from Warwick Bus Station, departing at 08.20 and arriving at Stratford-upon Avon (Stratford Bridge Street) at 08.45. The tour departs from Stratford-upon-Avon at approximately 09.00. Please be ready to depart 10 minutes before this time.
*Saturday tours operate May to September only
- On Sundays, there are no trains or buses from Coventry that arrive at Stratford-upon-Avon in time for our tour departure time of 09.15.
- On Sundays ONLY, we offer a pick-up/drop-off from Leamington Spa railway station, where the tour departs at 09.00 at the latest.
- Therefore, we recommend you take a taxi or Uber from Coventry to Leamington Spa station, or join our tour on a different day of the week. Please be ready to depart by 08.45.
Returning to Coventry
For those arriving/departing by train, we recommend that you purchase a flexible “anytime return” rail ticket that allows you to take any return train to Coventry on your chosen route. However, you may wish to book a specific return train in advance. If so, bear in mind that we aim to return to the following stations at the following times (on both weekday and weekend tours):
- Moreton-in-Marsh: 17.00
- Stratford-upon-Avon: 17.45
- Leamington Spa (Sundays only): 18.15
These times are usually the latest times we will return to these stations. In case of heavy traffic or other unforeseen circumstances beyond our control, we can never 100% guarantee to be back on time, but it is usually safe to book a return train after these times.
On buses, a day return ticket allows you to take any return bus to Coventry.
Train times and fares
Up-to-date information on timetables and ticket prices across the British rail network can be found on the National Rail Enquiries website: www.nationalrail.co.uk.
Train timetables can occasionally change – for example, because of planned or unplanned engineering works, public holidays or special events – so please ensure you double check the train times before you travel.
In the UK, train seats do not sell out, but tickets generally get more expensive closer to the date of travel. Please check the price of the train fare before you book your Cotswolds Day Tour.
Bus times and fares
The timetable for the X18 bus can be downloaded here.
In our experience, bus timetables in our area can be less precise than trains because of traffic, roadworks and other possible delays. Therefore, we recommend you arrive at the departure bus stop well before the scheduled departure time.
Apart from weekly, monthly or annual travel passes, bus tickets cannot be bought in advance – just pay the bus driver using cash. It is usually much cheaper to buy a return ticket (there and back) than two single (one-way) tickets.
Need help joining a tour from a different location?
Check our other help pages on joining a tour from London, Oxford, Leamington Spa, Stratford-upon-Avon, Moreton-in-Marsh, Chipping Campden, Bath, Birmingham, Bourton-on-the-Water, Bristol, Cheltenham, Gloucester, Guildford, Reading, Southampton, Stow-on-the-Wold or Worcester.
If you plan on driving to one of our pick-up locations, please see here for more information: https://www.gocotswolds.co.uk/drivingdirections/.
Please check our FAQs page, but if you can’t find the answer you’re looking for, just send us an email and we’ll be pleased to help! You can reach us at email@example.com, or use the contact form here.
The information we have provided here, in good faith, is correct at the time of writing (updated: 27 February 2020). Ultimately, it is your responsibility to reach the pick-up location at the stated time. In the event that your train or bus is delayed or cancelled, we at Go Cotswolds will do our utmost to make sure that you can still join the tour, even if it means you join a little late. However, in line with our terms and conditions (which you must agree to when you book a ticket with us), Go Cotswolds accepts no responsibility, and will provide no refund or compensation for tours missed through no fault of our own, including delayed, cancelled or missed public transport. We recommend that you take out suitable travel insurance to cover you in this eventuality.
*Tours operate on Thursdays and Saturdays between May and September only.
Images: Coventry Cathedral; Rail departures board – Tom Page (CCBYSA2.0)