If you’re visiting the historic city of Gloucester (pronounced “Glo-ster”), why not take a trip out to the Cotswolds with us? Although we don’t offer a pick-up from Gloucester directly, with a little effort, you can meet us at our pick-up point at Moreton-in-Marsh by taking the train. Here is everything you should need to know…
On Wednesdays, Thursdays* and Fridays:
- We recommend you take the 07.14 train from Gloucester to Worcester Foregate Street. Then, take the 08.25 train from Worcester Foregate Street, which arrives at Moreton-in-Marsh at 09.21.
- The tour departs from Moreton-in-Marsh station at 09.45.
- Saturday tours start in May 2020. Please see www.nationalrail.co.uk for timetable information.
- There are no trains from Gloucester that will get you to the nearest of our pick-up points (Moreton-in-Marsh station) in time for our tour.
- Therefore, we recommend you:
- Join our tour on a weekday (see above)
- Take a taxi to Moreton-in-Marsh station (journey time approximately 1 hour), or
- Take a taxi to Worcester Foregate Street and take the 08.28 train to Moreton-in-Marsh from there.
- The tour departs from Moreton-in-Marsh station at 10.00.
Returning to Gloucester
If arriving by train, we recommend that you purchase a flexible “anytime return” rail ticket that allows you to take any return train to Gloucester on your chosen route. However, you may wish to book a specific return train in advance. If so, bear in mind that we aim to return to the following stations at the following times (on both weekday and weekend tours):
- Moreton-in-Marsh: 5.00pm
- Stratford-upon-Avon: 5.45pm
- Leamington Spa: 6.15pm
These times are usually the latest times we will return to these stations. In case of heavy traffic or other unforeseen circumstances beyond our control, we can never 100% guarantee to be back on time, but it is usually safe to book a return train or taxi after these times.
Train times and fares
Up-to-date information on timetables and ticket prices across the British rail network can be found on the National Rail Enquiries website: www.nationalrail.co.uk.
Train timetables can occasionally change – for example, because of planned or unplanned engineering works, public holidays or special events – so please ensure you double check the train times before you travel.
In the UK, train seats do not sell out, but tickets generally get more expensive closer to the date of travel. Please check the price of the train fare before you book your Cotswolds Day Tour.
Need help joining a tour from a different location?
Check our other help pages on joining a tour from London, Oxford, Birmingham, Leamington Spa, Stratford-upon-Avon, Moreton-in-Marsh, Chipping Campden, Bath, Bourton-on-the-Water, Bristol, Cheltenham, Coventry, Guildford, Reading, Southampton, Stow-on-the-Wold or Worcester.
If you plan on driving to one of our pick-up locations, please see here for more information: https://www.gocotswolds.co.uk/drivingdirections/.
Please check our FAQs page, but if you can’t find the answer you’re looking for, just send us an email and we’ll be pleased to help! You can reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or use the contact form here.
The information we have provided here, in good faith, is correct at the time of writing (updated: September 2019). Ultimately, it is your responsibility to reach the pick-up location and be ready for departure at the stated time. In the event that your train is delayed or cancelled, we at Go Cotswolds will do our utmost to make sure that you can still join the tour, even if it means you join a little late. However, in line with our terms and conditions (which you must agree to when you book a ticket with us), Go Cotswolds accepts no responsibility, and will provide no refund or compensation for tours missed through no fault of our own, including delayed, cancelled or missed trains. We recommend that you take out suitable travel insurance to cover you in this eventuality.
*Tours operate on Thursdays and Saturdays between May and September only.