Many people take a day trip out of London to join a Go Cotswolds Day Tour by train – it’s easy! Here is everything you should need to know…
On Wednesdays, Thursdays* and Fridays:
- We recommend you take the 07.50 train from London Paddington station, which arrives at Moreton-in-Marsh at 09.27. This is the fastest and most convenient route from London. The tour departs from Moreton-in-Marsh station by 09.45 at the latest.
- You can also take the 06.17 train from London Marylebone station, which arrives at Stratford-upon-Avon at 08.46. The tour departs from Stratford-upon-Avon at approximately 09.00.
It is also possible to catch the 07.14 train from London Marylebone to Oxford, then change at Oxford to take the 08.51 train to Moreton-in-Marsh, where the tour departs by 09.45.
There is also a 07.11 train from London Marylebone, which arrives at Leamington Spa at 08.32. Please note: we do NOT recommend that you take this train, for two main reasons:
- We cannot wait for you if you are late. Leamington Spa is a long way from our other pick-up locations and from the Cotswolds, so if you miss the 07.11 train, or the train is cancelled or delayed by more than a few minutes, we cannot wait for you otherwise it would have a significantly negative impact on the timings of the tour and our other passengers.
- You will spend a lot longer on the minibus before and after the tour. Leamington Spa is our first pick-up and last drop-off of the day, so you will spend a considerably longer time on the minibus while we pick up our other passengers from Stratford-upon-Avon and Moreton-in-Marsh before the tour officially begins. The return time is also considerably later, and until we get to the Cotswolds, the route is not particularly scenic! Our Leamington Spa pick-up is primarily for customers staying in Leamington Spa or joining us by train from Birmingham and Coventry.
- Saturday tours start in May 2020 – please see www.nationalrail.co.uk for train timetable information
- We recommend you take the 08.07 train from London Paddington, which arrives at Moreton-in-Marsh at 09.53. The tour departs from Moreton-in-Marsh station at 10.00.
It is also possible to catch the 07.35 train from London Marylebone to Oxford, change at Oxford and take the 09.17 train to Moreton-in-Marsh, where the tour departs at 10.00.
Please note: on Sundays, there are no trains from London that arrive at Stratford-upon-Avon or Leamington Spa in time for our tour.
Returning to London
We recommend that you purchase a flexible “anytime return” rail ticket that allows you to take any return train to London on your chosen route. However, you may wish to book a specific return train in advance. If so, bear in mind that we aim to return to the following stations at the following times (on both weekday and weekend tours):
- Moreton-in-Marsh: 17.00
- Stratford-upon-Avon: 17.45
- Leamington Spa: 18.15
These times are usually the latest times we will return to these stations. In case of heavy traffic or other unforeseen circumstances beyond our control, we can never 100% guarantee to be back on time, but it is usually safe to book a return train after these times.
Train times and fares
Up-to-date information on timetables and ticket prices across the British rail network can be found on the National Rail Enquiries website: www.nationalrail.co.uk.
Train timetables can occasionally change – for example, because of planned or unplanned engineering works, public holidays or special events – so please ensure you double check the train times before you travel.
In the UK, train seats do not sell out, but tickets generally get more expensive closer to the date of travel. Please check the price of the train fare before you book your Cotswolds Day Tour.
Need help joining a tour from a different location?
Check our other help pages on joining a tour from Oxford, Birmingham, Leamington Spa, Stratford-upon-Avon, Moreton-in-Marsh, Chipping Campden, Bath, Bourton-on-the-Water, Bristol, Cheltenham, Coventry, Gloucester, Guildford, Reading, Southampton, Stow-on-the-Wold or Worcester.
If you plan on driving to one of our pick-up locations, please see here for more information: https://www.gocotswolds.co.uk/drivingdirections/.
Please check our FAQs page, but if you can’t find the answer you’re looking for, just send us an email and we’ll be pleased to help! You can reach us at email@example.com, or use the contact form here.
The train schedule information we have provided here, in good faith, is correct at the time of writing (updated: November 2019). Ultimately, it is your responsibility to reach the pick-up location at the stated time. In the event that your train is delayed or cancelled, we at Go Cotswolds will do our utmost to make sure that you can still join the tour, even if it means you join a little late. However, in line with our terms and conditions (which you must agree to when you book a ticket with us), Go Cotswolds accepts no responsibility, and will provide no refund or compensation for tours missed through no fault of our own, including delayed, cancelled or missed trains. We recommend that you take out suitable travel insurance to cover you in this eventuality.
*Tours operate on Thursdays and Saturdays between May and September only.